Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Vigan Cathedral Belfry

It's another free and easy edition at Texture Tuesdays... and I first hoped to share a flower image, but when I opened a random folder, I saw this and thought I'd play with it.


* please mouse over to see the SOOC shot *

This is the top part of the Vigan Cathedral Belfry in Ilocos Sur, which I took last March. Vigan is one of the places I always visit (I hope to do at least twice a year) because I just love how rustic and how wonderful I feel whenever I am there. That being said, I have so many pictures of the same subjects, and whenever I pass by Burgos Park going to Calle Crisologo, I always look up to this belfry because of the chicken at the top. Hahaha.

I call this the "surreal" edition as this image was quite heavy with post-processing. Though it is, this edit was actually quite easy to do as I use pre-made actions on GIMP. Steps I made:
  • Scaled image to 640x480.
  • Ran the Retinex Image Enhancement set to Uniform, playing with the other levels to achieve the look I wanted.
  • Bump the saturation to 100%, to make the sky more bluish.
  • Added one layer of Kim Klassen "Aurora" texture, set to normal at 50%.
  • Added one layer of Kim Klassen "Scripted Edges" texture, set to multiply at 70%.
  • Ran the Urban Acid script, set to 40%.
  • Ran the Unsharp Mask tool, set to 0.20.

This is the first time to use the Retinex Image Enchancement tool, and I think I like it a lot.