Monday, July 04, 2011

Quotography | 4th of July

I was seriously considering linking up my "Edit Me! Week 7" post for this prompt because it had the American flag and that the image had a quote, but I canceled the thought and thought of something else. While reading Nicola's post and seeing Marla's thumbnail on the Linky both had the fireworks image, I started thinking of using an old fireworks picture I took during the 2009 4th of July weekend hosted by the American Embassy at the Sky Dome. It was rather an old image and I did struggle with camera settings that time (most of my shots were mediocre), I thought I can't join this week, until...

4th of July

... I remembered I own two shirts with "4th of July" designs. The white one had stitched hat (that looked like Uncle Sam's hat) and some beads that looked like fireworks, the other - a red shirt with this heart design that looked a bit like the American Flag. I quickly ironed the shirt and took some pictures and edited it to be posted for this week's Quotography post.

USA has a big influence to the Philippines, at one point in time our country celebrates Independence Day every fourth of July, too, until former President Diosdado Macapagal declared the 12th of June as the Philippines' rightful date of independence. The same president also declared this day (04 July) as the Filipino-American Friendship Day to commemorate the joint forces made by Filipinos and Americans against the Japanese during World War 2.

Since the design of my shirt was heart-shaped, I went to choose something about "the love of country," and even if this image bears the colors and design of the American flag, I think the quote suits whatever nationality.

Happy Filipino-American Friendship Day,
Happy 4th of July!

*** Jenn ***

ps - one trivia: the movie "Born on the Fourth of July" starring Tom Cruise was shot here in the Philippines. :)