Wednesday, August 25, 2010

F - Four O'Clock Flower

Freesia and Fuchsia are just two of "F" flowers I had in mind, but I don't have any picture of either two. I was about to just share "Fake Flowers," until I searched about flowers starting in "F." To my surprise, I found out there really was a flower called, "Four O'Clock." When I was a kid, our next door neighbor used to have a plant called, "Alas Kwatro," which was "Four O'Clock" in English. Our neighbor told me that it was called such, because the flowers bloom at four o'clock, and the flowers were closed all throughout the day. I really thought it was just a name known here in our country, but as I clicked on that four o'clock flower I saw on the net, I was so amazed that they are the same flower.

4 O'Clock Flower


Our next door neighbors don't have the plant in their garden anymore, but I know of a place where I could find the plant. I went to this big store in the neighborhood three streets away from our house, but I went there around 11AM this morning and found the flowers closed. I decided to come back around 6PM tonight, and found the flowers have opened up. I couldn't contain my happiness.

There were yellow and white flowers, but I decided to share this one instead. Isn't it wonderful to learn something because of the memes? I knew sharing flowers for this round of ABC Wednesday would be difficult (especially when the hard letters come - J, K, O, Q, X, Z), but I am thankful that I still haven't missed a week. :)

*** Jenn ***

8 comments:

Rajesh said...

The flower that blooms at four'o clock is really beautiful.

Vinay Leo R. said...

the dewdrops on the flower are well captured :)

My ABC W post

Nanka said...

Well done Jenn...
Took a lot of trouble to get this wonderful picture.
Keep up the good work.

Rumya said...

Lovely picture.
You did take a lot of effort and in the end it all paid off with the perfect image.

Roger Owen Green said...

lovely. maybe there's a one o'clock flower for your O post!

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Jay said...

Well, that's a flower I've never heard of! Pretty, too! And it's always nice to learn something new.

On behalf of the ABC Wednesday team, thanks for taking part this week! :)

Tumblewords: said...

Beautiful - thanks for going to all that work to get a photo and tell the story - what a fun read!

Unknown said...

Beautiful, dewy flower! 'Four o'clock' is fun. Nice choice of F-word.
Best wishes,
Anna

Anna's abcWed-F-words